Sunday, May 14, 2017

Heraldry Used in Tree Climbing (7)

Early on in my various tree climbing experiences... beside family stories... local resources play a dominate role.  The "court house" and local "public library" were often explored.  During one visit to the library the following reference was discovered:


Wow...I thought, a JONES family from my very own home town, written by a fellow JONES from my very own town, about a family being from "London and Virginia".  Could this be my JONES family?  Now "Roger" was not a first name that had been used among my family tree, but a "Captain"...hey I liked that.  Also, there were lots of other family surnames that seemed a bit foreign to my own tree branches.  The word "Descendants" was understood, but... antecedents?  Then I opened the book and...


On my...a coat of arms came with this family.  What a discovery it was believed.  Got to find out more about this fellow from Virginia and London.  Thank you Judge Lewis Hampton Jones who published this book in 1891... lead away.

No comments:

Post a Comment